Monday, October 19, 2009

Rio2016: A view from the favella



So I am super excited because I have decided to embark on a new research project today. Over the next several days, months and maybe even years I would like to look at how the preparations for the 2016 Olympics in Rio De Janeiro impacts the poor people (particularly youth) of Brazil. Back in 2004 or 2005, I wrote a piece on the Juvenile Justice System in Brazil. I am now wondering how the Brazilian authorities urgent need to clean-up the crime ridden streets of Rio before the games might effect the poor youth of Brazil. My project will also focus on other related topics such as: the meaning behind the Olympic sponsor village as a global village and the opening ceremony performance as a cultural artifact. In looking at these and other themes, I am wondering what it means for Brazilians to have the whole world watching them more closely as a result of these games coming there for the first time. What will this new view of the world from their window mean for the local people of Rio?

There's already tons of controversy surrounding the crime issues in the city. Check out this article and pay special attention to the title. The media loves this stuff...let the games begin!

No comments: