Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Woman of Interest: Mrs. Cherry Wyley (September 6, 1923-April 3, 2010)




My dear Aunt Cherry passed away this past Saturday. I was fortunate enough to spend the last fours of her life with her. Not only will the moment when I realized she was about to take her last breathe stay with me for the rest of my life, but I will cherish all the moments we had together; especially the Sunday afternoon dinners with Mrs. Green and crew. I've known Aunt Cherry my entire life, but we became really close about ten years ago just before my Uncle Ed (her hubby) passed away in 2000. We were really like two peas and a pod! LOL! Everyday I realize how much I am like her in so many ways: feisty, ambitious, loyal and about our business (among other things)!

Words cannot express what she has meant to me over the years. She's dropped so many pearls of wisdom and surrounded me with so much love and support...it just warms my heart to think about hearing her raspy voice...so Brooklyn...so Black Jewish lady! LOL! Aunt Cherry loved her Matzahs! Although I will miss her, I am happy that she is in a better place with the loves of her life: her Lord and her Ed.

One of my favorite Cherry Wyley sayings is what she told me she used to say to Uncle Ed all the time, "Love me less, understand me more!" YES! I could not have put it better or more plainly. Every time I hear that...I think to myself, "Aunt Cherry gets me and I get her! That's why I love her so and she loves me."

Aunt Cherry...I love you and already miss you terribly but I am so glad that you stopped by this way a little while to show us how this life thing should be done...to the fullest! I think I am going to hit up some conventions and take some cruises in your honor...I may even finally learn how to play Pinochle and the rules of parliamentary procedure! You were good at and knowledgeable of so many things and did not take anybody's junk but you also knew how to really have fun...even when you were not feeling your best. Not only that, I admire the way you shared your love with us (me, son Stevie and others) and sang hymns and praises even until the very end. You were and continue to be a shining example to me...I will never, ever forget you. Truly, we are all going to miss you because the work you've done will continue to speak for you. Rest in Peace...

Who can find a virtuous woman? For her price is far above rubies. Proverbs 31:10

1 comment:

Unknown said...

AMEN, SUCH A BEAUTIFUL WOMEN, AND I'M SAD I DIDN'T GET TO SEE HER, WHEN SHE WAS ASKING FOR ME! HOWEVER I WILL SEE HER ON THE OTHER SIDE!