Thursday, July 23, 2009

Woman of Interest: Marian Wright Edelman


Hi kids...sorry it's been a minute. I have been running in and out of town! My last trip to Little Rock is actually the inspiration for this post. I spent 4 days with some really great youth and I haven't been able to stop thinking about them since. So in honor of my new found love for young people (LOL! Just kidding...I always love the kids!)...my Woman of Interest for this week is none other than Mrs. Marian Wright Edelman, founder and CEO of The Children's Defense Fund.

Working with, fellowshipping amongst, and advocating on behalf of some beautiful young people between the ages of 12-18 this past week has been such a blessing to me. I must admit that many of them seemed to be a little rough around the edges when I first encountered them....I wasn't sure how the weekend was going to go. However, once we were able to create a safe, creative, and open environment for them and gave them the opportunity to express themselves freely, their world completely opened up. Suddenly, these broken and guarded teens were smiling and happy young men and women ready to get to work! They lit up the faces of all of the adult volunteers by the end of the week and inspired us all to do bigger and greater things on their behalf.

No one exemplifies this call to service or advocates on behalf of children more or greater than Mrs. Edelman. I've read about her quite a bit over the years but I really got to know her work through the influence of one of my bffs who works for CDF in Texas. In addition to starting the CDF which she founded as a voice for poor, minority and disabled children in 1973, Mrs. Edelman was an accomplished civil rights lawyer who was the first African American admitted to the Mississippi Bar. In essence, she has been an activist for the marginalized and forgotten in every aspect of her career and life. Mrs. Edelman is the real deal y'all...she's another woman I want to be when I grow up! ;-)

For more information, click here.

"Service is the rent each of us pays for living. The only thing that lasts is what is shared with others." - MWE

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I Love You, thanks for blogging boo! You keep me on my toes, and give me knowledge/insight on so many new things. THANKS