Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Woman of Interest: Zahra Rahnavard

(pic source: news.yahoo.com)
I try to keep up with the news both local and abroad because I think it is important. Especially in the sporadic and volatile times we live in right now. I've really been trying to keep up with the information coming in about the situation in Iran with the election and subsequent protests. However, I don't feel like I know enough about all parties involved to take a strong "cyberstance" like many of my other peeps. I don't know that much about Mousavi so I can't say whether he is a worthy alternative to your boy A or not. However, I have been reading up on Mousavi's wife and she seems pretty awesome.

Dr. Zahra Rahnavard is a PhD toting artist, educator, leader, and women's rights activist. She was very active in her husband's presidential campaign (ala Michelle Obama) which is pretty unprecedented in that region of the world. Mousavi and Rahnavard have also been known to show their affection for each other in public by holding hands in the streets (which is said to be frowned upon in the Muslim world). Now I don't know THAT much about her but I am pleased with what she represents for the oppressed women of Iran and in countries all over the world.

For more information on Dr. Rahnavard, click here.

No comments: